When couples decided to separate, property division is inevitable. There are different laws for married couples and common law partners. Division of property can be a complex issue that involves the assistance of a lawyer. The first step in determining property claims is for each spouse to calculate the value of their net family property and the equalization payment.

Common Law Partners
A common law spouse cannot ask for equalization payment. If the common law spouse intends to assert a right in the property, it is imperative that the property is owned jointly and both the parties are contributing to the property. Common law spouses may speak to the lawyer about the trust law principles.

Married Spouses
Matrimonial home cannot be sold unless both spouses consent to the sale, regardless of the name on the title of the home. Contact R&S Lawyers to assist you through the process.


Head Office : 2 County Court Blvd. 2nd Floor Brampton, Ont. Canada

Rick (Rapanjot) Singh

CALL : (416) 846-0196

Nina (Shokheen) Singh

CALL : (647)207-7299

(Up to 30 minutes)